Sunday, October 03, 2010

Bicycles in Lisbon


Bicycles in Lisbon, originally uploaded by Alida's Photos.

This could be any US city, but it's Lisbon, Portugal.

The city has hills like San Francisco and a tram or trolley. Some of the buildings are much older since this is Europe, but there are modern buildings also.

The people are very friendly and we're having a good time speaking with the locals. From our experience here, they are happy to practice their English and we are using our limited Spanish and learning some Portuguese words. No problems what-so-ever understanding each other.

The Portuguese language is not what I expected. Some words look like Spanish and are familiar to me but it sounds very different, more like Greek or Russian (to my very untrained ear. Forgive me if this comment shows my ignorance! I'm not a language student.)

It's fun to travel and learn the differences and similarities that make us all human!

No comments: