Monday, March 12, 2007

Agrigento, Sicily


Agrigento, Sicily

My mother's parents were from Agrigento. I never got to meet them but the people I met in this city are wonderful. Everyone smiled at the Americans with the cameras and wanted to stop us and communicate. "Where are you from?" "Oh, New York! You have family from Argrigento?"

As my husband and I walked through the narrow streets, one lady wanted to know why I was walking around with a short-sleeve shirt. "Aren't you cold?" I could understand even though my Italian is limited to a few words. It was 65 degrees F (about 18 C) and the Sicilians were wearing winter coats...no kidding....heavy coats with fur collars. I was so warm and over-heated from walking up and down those many hills and steps.

Every street twists and turns and brings you to another hill or staircase through an alleyway. I loved it!!! I could feel the history and thought of my grandparents having to leave this country for a better life. I can't imagine how poor and/or desperate they must have been to want to leave such a beautiful country.

It was Sunday and I could hear the pots banging in the kitchens, and ladies speaking Italian...and the smells!....wonderful tomato sauce cooking for Sunday dinner. It brought back wonderful memories from my old Brooklyn. Brooklyn was like that at one time, a lifestyle taken from the "old country."

I wish I had met my grandparents.

No comments: