Saturday, March 22, 2008

United Nations, NYC

It was a beautiful day for walking around Manhattan. Colder than I thought it would be, but it was still sunny and pleasant.
We walked down to the East River and passed the United Nations Building. There was a group of protestors, protesting against the treatment of Tibet by China. 
I was surprised to see a very quiet protest, with people all gathered within barricades. 
There was no yelling or screaming, just signs and flags. It made me sad. 
It was like they were rounded up, like cattle or prisoners.
There is injustice in the world and people can only protest by holding signs and standing quietly. It just didn't seem right. 
Where was the anger? The yelling and chanting?
It just didn't seem fair.
The group was surrounded by at least 100 police officers. I thought that was good, to keep the peace and prevent things from getting out of hand. I would not have wanted anyone to get hurt. But just the same, I didn't think this group was going to cause any trouble. 
They already look defeated.
~~~~~~~~~~

No comments: