Thursday, January 01, 2009

Sunrise 2009


sunrise 2009, originally uploaded by Alida's Photos.

January 1st, 2009 at sunrise
~~~
I awoke to a new year, 2009. The temperature outside was 10°F and it was very windy. 
There was ice and snow on the roadways.
My usual New Years Day trip to the beach was put on hold.
Plan B: taking sunrise shots near my house! It really was beautiful!
~~~
I was just a little disappointed but decided that the beach would have had too much sand and ocean-spray blowing over us....bad for the camera and me! I could stand the cold but the wind makes it too uncomfortable. My husband decided to stay in bed.

It turned out to be a beautiful morning. I couldn't walk far, nor did I want to, but just around the neighborhood was magical. 
The pond and canal were beginning to freeze up but the birds were busy at the bird feeders 
and in the holly trees.
 I was the only one out there and loved it!

Enjoy your day and remember that we got to see a new year. 
That's amazing in itself and should be celebrated!
~~~

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

My so-called friends opted not to continue our tradition of watching the sun rise over the Atlantic oceanfront at Virginia Beach. I don't know why: it must have been ten degrees warmer than your beach. :-)

We began this tradition to watch the sun rise on a new millenium back in 2000. It lasted about eight years (it rained last year).

Pat D.

Alida Thorpe said...

So sorry Pat.
It's funny, but we also began this tradition in 2000.
I've tried to take some photos every year!

Thanks for the comments.

luvmyboys said...

What a great tradition and a wonderful way to start the new year.

Anonymous said...

i really love the photo. everything is perfect. great shot. it's always nice to start a year with great observation to your surroundings and learning how to appreciate them.