Sunday, October 03, 2010

selling in Nazaré

selling in Nazaré, originally uploaded by Alida's Photos.

This older woman was selling dried figs and nuts in Nazaré, Portugal. It's an older fishing village with lots of character. One item they sell here is barnacles. They collect them from the sea, then cook them, and peel and eat. I haven't tried them yet but I know on Long Island, we scrape them off the bottom of the boat. I'll have to try them before I leave.

Another woman was selling fresh figs which are in season here in this area of Portugal. Nothing is sweeter than fresh ripe figs! Now I know why my grandparents, from southern Italy, grew fig trees in Brooklyn. The difference is that in Brooklyn, the trees needed to be protected in winter. They were pulled over, wrapped in tar paper and covered with a bucket. Sounds crazy? Well, I guess you just have had to been there....... Ripe figs are delicious!

1 comment:

kelsci said...

Alida;Many people that owned boats on LI had to have the barnacles scraped off the boat hulls. I think the purpose of anti-fouling paint was to try to prevent and limit the growth of them because they could create unwanted drag. I never heard of them as an edible quantity on LI. They were awfully small things but perhaps there are other species that grow larger and have enough meat for edibility.