Friday, August 29, 2014

Last summer picnic

beach picnic

I'm always amazed at how quickly the summer passes.
Labor Day already and I haven't been out to the beach nearly enough. I love to pack a picnic lunch, or dinner, and head over to Fire Island. For me, it's one of the highlights of living on Long Island.

Being retired extends the summer. I can still head over to Fire Island after everyone heads back to work and school, but, there is always a little melancholy feeling that creeps in, unexpectedly. 
It's the end of something: the warm days, sun and sand, and the feeling of freedom. It must be a residual feeling, left over from my days as a student and then eventually a teacher.
September always was back to school and then back to work, and the end of carefree summer days.
I know this feeling will pass. After all, retirement extends my summer into fall.
I'm very fortunate and I appreciate all I have.  

No comments: