Tuesday, June 03, 2008

baymen


baymen, originally uploaded by Alida's Photos.

The Great South Bay on a "gray" kind of day. I thought this photos was worth posting because these are "baymen" the last of the few surviving men who work the bay. These guys are collecting conch, but for years this bay was known for its oysters and clams. You heard of the "Blue Point" oysters? This is the area. 

We spoke to these men as they moved from marker to marker to collect the conch from their traps. In the 1970s, the bay was filled with boats like this.

~~~~~~

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I went to Shea Last year and said the same thing. I hadn't been back there since we saw the Beatles in 1965 . I still have the stub. do you?

Marie

Alida Thorpe said...

Oh course I still have the stub!
It has the Beatles picture on it!
Great memories!
Alida