Thursday, June 30, 2005

Pennsylvania...

I live on Long Island, New York State. I visit Pennsylvania often. Why?? Well, it's a real coincidence.

My husband grew up in PA and moved to Long Island in 1970. Basically, his entire adult life has been in NY. His parents, sister and sister's family all still live there.

My younger sister met a man from PA, coincidently same area, got married and moved there 10 years ago.

My brother's wife's sister, married and moved there, and then my brother and his wife followed. They have two kids. So, at this point I have quiet an extended family, all living in the Philadelphia area.

This gets crazier!

My son, fresh out of college, has friends who moved to the same area. What?? We are talking about, within 15 minutes of the extended family. My son decides to move there to live with his friends. Now, I'm not upset. Why would I be? My sister, my brother, my in-laws, neices and nephews all live near him.

My husband and I are now traveling to PA every other week.

My father-in-law has been in the hospitial for the last 6 months. It's been a roller-coaster of emotions. He is 84 years old so... he gets better, then worse, then better. We keep running back and forth. We run there to help my mother-in-law. Then we see my sister and brother (this includes their entire families too). We see my husband's sister and her family.

Now we went to see my son's new house. He moved in with 5 other friends in the Conshohokon area. It's an up-coming "in" kind of place, I understand. Cool. He's happy, so that's all I care about. He's still looking for a "real" job.

We have had a hectic week. We went to the hospital, out to dinner, helped my mother-in-law buy a new tv, visited my son, cooked a dinner, slept on a sofa bed two nights, had dinner with my sister-in-law, ran to the hospital again, had lunch with family, dinner, took pictures, went to the hospital again, said good-bye.

We spent 4 hours in traffic to get home (the Outerbridge was closed due to an accident). And now I'm home!

Okay....now for the July 4th weekend! We have no plans, and wow, that feels good!

4 comments:

KayseaLove said...

Wow- I feel exhausted just reading your post. Have a beautiful 4th of July. Last fourth, my Jesse and I were stuck in traffic, Long Island, in his 2002 Ford Mustang GT Convertable, Fireworks shooting above the car- very beautiful night I will miss.

KayseaLove said...

I'm sorry to hear about your father-in-law... I will pray for your family. PA has A LOT of trees. And its one of the longest states to drive through east/west.

Stacie Penney said...

I feel the same way after last week. I moved to Wisconsin shortly after graduating from college. My mother joined us after the birth of my youngest child. My brother and sister-in-law were here for five days, overlapping with a visit from a cousin.

We're just far enough away to make it inconvienent, but close enough for vacations.

Alida Thorpe said...

Thanks for the comments. It really was fun since I have a fun family. Everyone laughs easily and is pretty easy-going and flexible. Company should never stay more than a few days anyway.