Wednesday, April 25, 2007

Barrett Beach on Fire Island



There has been much planning and discussion about a new ferry service to Barret Beach. If you don't know, Barrett is about half-way between the Pines and Davis Park.
The dock was built to ferry specifications, the concession building and restrooms were constructed, picnic tables and the buoys are ready, but nothing is happening.

Right now, there is no ferry service and it is not in the plan for this summer, 2007.

I'm not upset. In fact, I like it just the way it is. I get to go to a beautiful beach that is never over-crowded. The only access to the beach, is by private boat or by walking a mile or two on the beach from the communities that have ferry service, the Pines or Water Island and Davis Park.

The concession building is empty and there is no life-guard service. Swim at your own risk!

I don't know what will happen in the next year or two. When I do hear of more current information, I will keep you updated.

~~~~~~~~~~

1 comment:

Dusty Dog said...

I love your blog. We've met a few times via our blogging and photography efforts. I'm also the proud owner of a new photo site, www.dusty-dog.smugmug.com

As for Barrett Beach, yeah, it's frustrating. It's all about money, and funding, and people. The park service just doesn't have enough of any of that. So, you get to keep your private little beach for now. Enjoy!