Saturday, May 14, 2005

Bridal Showers….Why?

What is the purpose of the shower?

Why do most woman dislike going to Bridal Showers? I have to go to one on Sunday and I don’t want to go. My feelings have nothing to do with the Bride or the Groom. I like both people and wish them the best. And, it will be a classy event at one of the better restaurants. So, why would I rather not go? I think the purpose is no longer there.

When I was married in 1971, I was beginning a new life. I had been living with my parents up to that point and had nothing of my own. I just finished college, just started working, but was making very little money. I could not live with my fiancé before that; my parents would not allow it! Unless you are my age, you wouldn’t understand that….

I needed everything: sheets, towels, dishes, a toaster…It was the same for all my friends too.


Brides today, on Long Island, in general, are older and more established. They have been living on their own or with their boyfriends/fiancés. They have sheets, towels, microwaves and in many cases, even a cappuccino machine! They and/or their parents have already bought them everything they need and most of what they want. What do they need now other than the good wishes of friends?

The Bridal Registry: The happy couples, here on Long Island, go to the major stores and pick out what they want. They register at stores like Macy’s, Bloomingdales, Williams and Sonoma. They make their wish list, things to replace the items they have been using for the last few years. It’s not things they need but things they want to replace. The shower seems so unnecessary!

Even buying the gift now is so removed from the event. As a guest, you can order the gift on the Internet and have it gift wrapped and shipped right to the registered address, selected by the happy couple. Why even go to the shower?

And please, I hope no one brings one of those pranks, sexual jokes: a rubberized penis! After living with a few of the boyfriends, the bride will have to pretend to be shocked for the benefit of Grandma! It seems so silly.

I will go to the shower and wish the bride happiness because that’s what we do for friends!

No comments: