Monday, September 10, 2007

Coney Island

I went to Coney Island yesterday to take photos and document the changing scene.
The Coney Island area has been sold to a big developer who is planning a major change.
There are now empty fields waiting for develpment.
It does need change for sure, and updating, but many people are not happy.
A major part of Astroland will be removed.
The old Parachute Jump as well as the Cyclone and Wonder Wheel will remain as landmark symbols and for the amusement of the boardwalk visitors.
Almost everything else will go.
~~~
I must say, I did enjoy my visit there.
You have to understand, that I was born and raised in Brooklyn.
I moved to Long Island as a young adult so I could raise my children in a "better" environment. (Well, that's another debate.)
I have wonderful memories of Coney Island, the rides, Steeplechase and Nathan's.
It was a family activity, mini-one-day-vacations, that could be affordable to just about everyone.
~~~
Anyway, my husband and I went to Coney Island early Sunday morning, before the traffic and the crowds and....it was wonderful!
First of all, the light for photography, is much better in the early hours.
Nice long shadows and a warm color cast makes for better photos!
I hope I got some good shots. :-)
But the best thing about the morning trip was the people!
The pier was lined with families and old men, fishing.
There were few people on the beach, jogging or walking on the sand as well as the boardwalk.
I spoke to a few people...You grow up in Brooklyn and that's natural.
Well, most of the people I spoke with could not speak English....and they were all there together, getting along like one big community.
I heard so many different languages.
It was really great to see!
They were friendly, and tried to understand me and answer my questions.
I wanted to know what kind of fish they catch. What bait? You know the usual fisherman questions.
~~~
We then went to Nathan's for a famous hotdog. Now, I haven't eaten a hotdog in ten years.
The thought of eating ground-up animal parts just doesn't tempt me.
But, I had a Nathan's hotdog and it was the best one I ever had! With saurkraut and mustard!
It brought back all the old memories of standing at the window eating hot-dogs with my brothers and sisters and parents.
~~~
I'm sorry to see Astroland go but I know that New York is a great city and the main reason it is so wonderful is the people.
So, if you ever went there as a child, take a ride. Go back to visit!
Go, as I did, on a Sunday, when families are there and you can park almost anywhere.
Check out the empty fields that will be developed in the near future.
Don't wait too long, it will soon change.
~~~
I am still processing my Coney Island photos but you can see my gallery on Flickr.
~~~~~

No comments: