Friday, September 07, 2007

Square Format

The photo above, Montauk Fishing Fleet, has been cropped to a square format.
It seems to be the current trend. Check out the frame department at your local shop.
Square frames are the rage!
Why is this important to me and other photographers?
Well, the camera doesn't shoot square, unless it is one of the special cameras.
Some older camera shoot square, like the old box cameras, but that's another era.
Today's digital camera shoot to a ratio of 2:3.
So they enlarge to 4x6, 8x12, 12x18, 16x24....well, you get the idea.
So, what's the big deal?
The ends get cut off!
And sometimes, important detail and composition disappear.
Just thought I'd mention that since I am struggling to crop some of my older photos to be square.
What end do I cut? How does it look with more sky or more ground or sea?
How will the resolution be compromised?
Will it print as well?
Hmm, I'll just have to work on that and I'll keep you posted!
~~~
See the original below...
If you have an opinion about this, please leave a comment!
I read them all and I'd like to know what you think!
~~~~~~~~~~~

1 comment:

Gerald (SK14) said...

I don't print many of my pictures so don't worry too much about cropping to a specific size.

Here I think you had two choices, three boats and a piece if distant shore or four boats but no distant shore.

I like the look of the boat on the left of the original but it depends what line you'd crop through at the right whether or not the composition was right.

Going the way you have the inclusion of the distant shore adds depth and so it probably the better choice.

PS My old instamatic camera [bought for £5 in 1965 and did sterling work for about 20 years] took square pictures]