Sunday, September 28, 2008

Last Day at Shea Stadium


security at Shea Stadium, originally uploaded by Alida's Photos.
~~~

Yes, today was the last day. 
Shea is now closed and the new stadium, Citi Field, will open next season.
I saw the Beatles at Shea Stadium back in 1965. 
I was one of those screaming young girls who couldn't hear them sing or even see them from the seats way up top. I knew it was them. My friend had binoculars.
Everyone was screaming. We LOVED the Beatles.
I'll always remember Shea and the time.....
~~~

4 comments:

Fashion Schlub said...

THAT is a great "farewell" shot.

My sister was at the airport when the Beatles arrived in America...I always ask her, what was it like, was it amazing? All she remembers is being scared that she was going to be trampled to death. Ha. And she calls ME the negative one!

dianasfaria.com said...

I love this Alida!

bobbie said...

Just as you couldn't see the Beatles but knew they were there, I've never been to Shea, but I knew it was there and that was enough. I think it should have been named an historical monument.

Alida Thorpe said...

Bobbie,
Are you being satirical? *wink*
Knowing your humor, I think so!

I wasn't crying over the last game yesterday like some people were. Goodness, you would think someone died! Yeah, it's sad to see the end of something, but a new stadium is right there and the team is still together and it's just a baseball stadium.

I like change, and new shiny seats and modern bathrooms, and I also think all that money on a new stadium is a lot of unnecessary expense.