Saturday, September 13, 2008

Stony Brook Village, Long Island, NY

I went over to Stony Brook looking for "new" areas to photograph. There is this cute little shopping center called the "Stony Brook Village."

Stony Brook doesn't have a true village or town center, like some towns on Long Island, but this quaint shopping area has places to eat and stroll.
 There are nice shops and people seemed very friendly. They must have wondered why I was taking photographs, especially with a tripod, but they all smiled and said, "Hello!"

Stony Brook is a wonderful area with many assets. The best part of Stony Brook is the University and the cultural events it brings to the community. They have many music programs, plays, art exhibits, and more. 
There is always something to see and they even provide classes for non-matriculating adults. The "Roundtable" is mostly classes given for older people who just want to learn. Workshops cover anything from political discussions to crafts to book groups.
The course list is quite long!
 The Stony Brook Hospital is a great asset too, since it is "world class" and a teaching hospital. I guess that isn't the main reason to move there but it certainly improves the quality of life.
When I need a doctor or hospital, I go to Stony Brook.
~~~~~~

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love that place. I used to shop there a lot when my son was a toddler (21 years ago). Haven't been there in a loooong time...

Fashion Schlub said...

Hey, *I* used to shop there when MY daughter was a toddler (16 years ago!). I think there used to be a cute children's clothing store that I don't think is still there. And we'd get lunch and go sit by that pond down the road (sitting carefully to avoid the goose droppings). It was always so charming and peaceful there.

bobbie said...

It looks like a great place.
My oldest daughter lived in Selden for years - now moved on to Port Jefferson Station. But we were once familiar with Stony Brook

Kay said...

Wow! Thanks for visiting my blog, Alida. It happily led me to yours. Your photos are absolutely amazing. I can see why you have them displayed in so many places. You really have a gift. I'm happy to see we think alike, too. I've already been painfully disappointed twice in the elections. If Obama/Biden loses, I will not be a happy camper.

kelsci said...

I fished in Stoney Brook Harbot and if possible out in the Sound weather permitting during the 1960s. One fall, my brother caught a 4 l/4 pound showshoe flounder in the sound outside of the harbor. 4 POund plus porgies ran in August off Crane Neck Point. Blackfish ran in the fall off Crane Neck Point using fiddler and green crabs. Opening the bellies of the flounders that I caught would find mounds of sand launce(eels). That made the fish taste sweet from the area. One Novemver, I tried a deeper water drift and my brother caught a whiting. I wondered if a boat could get out in the sound during the winter whether codfish were out there in the sound. Fluke ran right by the main channel where everybody could park and cast during the month of august. I loved that area.

Alida Thorpe said...

Kelsci,
Interesting information.
We don't fish off the North Shore, but it sounds like great fishing. I'll have to look into whether or not that area is still the same.

Thanks for the comments!

The Broken Man said...

Looks like a lovely little shopping place! I like quaint little places like that.

Thanks for "finding" my blog! :)

The Broken Man