Friday, September 05, 2008

Skimmers at Nickerson Beach


skimmers, originally uploaded by Alida's Photos.

~~~~~
I went over to Nickerson Beach yesterday, Nassau County.....yes, I left my zip code!
Just kidding, of course!
I've been wanting to go there to see these beautiful nesting birds but waited until after Labor Day. During the summer, parking there is pretty expensive for non-residents, and it's not like I was staying all day. (The gas to get there was cost enough!)
I just wanted to see the birds.
~~~
If you had told me 30 years ago that I would be traveling to see birds, I would not have believed you. After all, I was a "Brooklyn girl" and the only birds I ever saw were pigeons and sparrows.
There are birds in the city of course, but I just never noticed I guess.
It wasn't until I moved to Long Island, and became an adult, that I realized the variety of birds that we have.
I always enjoyed nature, but I was young and too involved in my own world to realize the pleasure that birding can bring. My parents enjoyed nature also, and would take the family to parks and rivers. We would pick wild berries in the country and clams and mussels on the beach.
So, I knew from very young that I enjoyed being outdoors.
I now have a "life list" of birds that I've seen. I buy bird ID books and use binoculars to see the differences in the coloring and beaks to help with identification.
Yep, I never would have thought........
Our lives take different turns, and the journey is often unpredictable.
That's a good thing.
~~~

3 comments:

Merisi said...

They look like "Gentlemen Birds" in their black and white outfit!

Oh, I can understand what you are experiencing all to well!

Should you return to Vienna, I highly recommend a side tript to Lake Neusiedl. Birds galore! I don't have really great birdshots to offer on my blog, but a few images of the sights there, with the one or other link to websites which offer more information about Neusiedl National Park.

Ben C. said...

Nice image! Just to let you know those are not skimmers ... those are American Oystercatchers.

Alida Thorpe said...

Thank you Ben C.
I really wasn't sure but other photographers that take shots there were calling them "skimmers" and I just thought they knew. I'll have to research it further and will change the title. Thanks!